Friday, November 07, 2014

Diodon's dependency on Zeitgeist

So I disabled Zeitgeist since when it starts to scan, it takes up 1GB of RAM..... 1 fucking Gigabyte! I disabled from running it by issuing the following commands:

sudo sed 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' -i /etc/xdg/autostart/zeitgeist-datahub.desktop
sudo chmod -x /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/zeitgeist-fts
sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/zeitgeist-datahub
sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/zeitgeist-daemon


Then searched running zeitgeist processes (via ps command) and killed them.

So finally I got my 1GB of RAM back... whew! Until Diodon started to freeze. It's running, but it ain't keeping tabs of my clipboard, and it ain't clearing. I killed it, then launched from terminal hoping it spits out some error I could work with.

** (diodon:22122): CRITICAL **: file log.c: line 975: unexpected error: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.zeitgeist.Engine: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program org.gnome.zeitgeist.Engine: Success (g-dbus-error-quark, 23)

Yup, it's dependent on Zeitgeist alright. And since there's no Zeitgeist plugin for Diodon, and I can't disable it from the application itself, I resorted to uninstalling Diodon and installing ClipIt. And...... I got my clipboard history back!



Yeah, alright it doesn't have an Ambiance theme making it an odd indicator. But I don't care, my clipboard history matters more than visual aesthetics.