Sunday, September 09, 2007

Confused and Irritated

Recent life-changing events forced me to contemplate on my life and my priorities. After being a bum for a few months - with funds fast depleting - I decided it's now time to get myself a day job. I'm well rested and very much eager to interact with the corporate world again. Let's get it on!

The confused and irritated part was caused by a surprise. This shit happens, and I'm just a victim of synchronicity. But I'll also face it head on!

When I need think, I usually get a piece of paper and a pencil and write down what I can and cannot do. And since I'm stuck in front of my laptop, I'll be doing that right here, right now. I've been using the SWOT method for a long time now, but this time I'll just focus on strengths and weaknesses and my computing and management skills.

Strengths:
System Administration

  • LAMP
  • eGroupware and PHPGroupware
  • Dovecot
  • Postfix
  • Sendmail
  • Dancer IRCD
  • Subversion
  • Installation and Configuration of Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora
  • IRC Bots (Eggdrop and Supybot)
  • DNS Administration via EditDNS and DynDNS
  • SSH and FTP Configuration
  • Samba
  • Drupal, Joomla, Mambo, e107, PHP-Fusion
  • Wordpress
  • Moodle
  • Search Engine Optimization
  • Software Testing and Quality Improvement
  • Exposure to Open Source Processes
  • LAN Networking
  • Software/Computer Forensics
  • PGP and SSH
Programming
  • C++
  • PHP & HTML
  • KDevelop
  • NetBeans
  • Anjuta
  • Geany
  • MS Visual C++ 6
Management
  • Managing Accelerated Performance (MAP)
  • Knowledge Management
  • Project Management
  • Performance Management
  • Six Sigma Training
  • Risk Management

Weakness:
System Administration
  • Cyrus and Courier Email Servers
  • Kolab, Scalix, and Zimbra
  • Jabber
  • Asterisk
  • BIND
  • JBoss
  • Novell/SUSE and Red Hat
  • LDAP
  • Kerberos
  • SpamAssasin
  • ClamAV
  • Squid
  • IPTables
  • Sugar CRM (or any CRM Applications)
  • Tiny ERP (or any ERP Applications)
  • Chrooted/Jailed Accounts
  • Virtual Email Accounts using MySQL
  • Clustering
  • Solaris
  • WebSphere and Domino
  • MSSQL
  • LTSP
  • WAN Installation and Management
Programming
  • MS Visual C++ 6, I've relied heavily on this.
  • C++ skill not enough, at least for Linux.
  • PHP skill not enough
  • Java
  • Any Scripting Language
Management
  • Not enough experience
So there it is.... based on the list above, I guess I'll have more chances of getting a Sys Admin job. But also based on the list above, there's a lot more stuff I need to learn before I consider myself qualified to be a Sys Admin.

Now the hard part, it's Baguio. There's very, very few companies who use Unix/Linux for their servers, much less for their workstations. I'll see what I can do. But for now, and the next couple of days, I'll be very busy studying and working on my skills.

Blogged with Flock