Tuesday, September 13, 2005

VLAPT Problems

I'm back giving you readers a headache. Anyway, I've been experimenting with VLAPT, the Vector Linux Advanced Package Manager same as Synaptic. For Debian, Synaptic is the front-end GUI for Apt-Get while VLAPT is the front-end for Slapt-Get. Both programs basically do the same thing, unfortunately, VLAPT hasn't matured yet.

To show you what's giving me headaches, I've presented screenshots and description of what I've done.

A. Configure Source

I made sure HTTP & FTP sites listed in the Vector Linux Message Board has been added to the /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc.


B. Update Packages List

Made sure everything was Done and nothing Failed.


C. Tried Installing Mozilla Thunderbird

I've always been a fan of Mozilla, so Thunderbird was my first choice when it comes to emails.


D. Confirm It

Of course, VLAPT wanted me to confirm it. This window would also present dependencies, if it has one, and ask you to install them too.


E. And, Wha-La, gave me an error.

So I think my only option would be to install it manually.



The idea of having Slapt-Get and VLAPT is great, it will definitely make life easier for users of Vector Linux. Since I haven't tried Slackware yet, I don't know if it also has Slap-Get, whatever the case, I still love this distro. Frustration??? Nah!!!

UPDATE:

I've been setting my heart in installing KDevelop right after I installed Vector Linux, so far all it gave me was error window telling me that it either needs PHP or that it can't find it. Well I was able to install KDE SDK 3.4.2 and I was surprised to see this in the K > Development Menu:
I was surprised to see this! I opened it up and there you go, I guess I don't have to go through the headache of installing KDevelop. I told you I'm an idiot when it comes to Linux, but you do see that I'm trying. On with the testing.

To my Friends still using Windows

So how are you? Still trying to battle Spywares??? Still being paranoid about every website you visit??? Still getting cranky whenever the definition files of your anti-virus program is not updated??? Just take a look at my computer, been on the internet without firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware program, and my computer still looks brand new. To those who know me very well might be surprised to see my PC in tip-top condition. Especially since I love browsing smut sites and crackz/serialz sites... a known haven for spywares and trojans. Did you know that anti-virus programs, anti-spyware programs, and firewalls are background processes that will only make your P4 3.0Ghz computer act like it's a P3 800Mhz PC? So give yourself a break, provide your own CD-R and I'll burn a copy of Linux for you. You should spend your computing life learning or teaching, not tying to remove those malwares.