Friday, July 06, 2007

The Daet Excursion

I went to Daet, Camarines Norte since I was invited, for the second time, to talk about Free/Open Source Software. This time, there are participants hailing as far as Sorsogon. Well, I'll blog about the seminar later, but for now, I would just like to share my Daet Excursion.

After a 6 hour trip from Baguio via Victory Liner, I arrived at Cubao. Thank goodness the Superlines Terminal is just a minute's walk from Victory. Ok, I arrived at 7PM and I have to wait for 2 hours before I could get an airconditioned bus going to Daet, Camarines Norte. The wait was fun, boring... but fun. I've been listening to FM and chanced upon this station (forgot what it is, but it's like 10-something and a half!). The idiotic remarks and the good tunes kept me sane... That was the longest 2 hours of my life. Oh yeah, I met a pretty girl too... smart and funny.. didn't get her name and number though. I didn't ask, heh, I'm not interested anyway, besides small talk to pass the time away.

This is the bus I took, Bus No. 347. I wonder if DC Comics is aware that a bus company is using their character's logo(?).

After 8 hours, I arrived at the Daet Terminal. Geez, too hot... way too hot, even at 5AM. Nothing to do (again) but wait for another 2 hours before I take a tricycle to Lourdes College.

By 7AM, I arrived at Our Lady of Lourdes College Foundation. I didn't have a chance to take a few pictures the first time I was there, good thing I have a camera phone this time.

The entrace to the foundation is still undergoing renovation, but this is just the entrance. Below is the main building.

And this is the road going to the Gymnasium, but before you arrive there, you'll pass by the Kindergarten classroom and the Cafeteria. Trust me, this is a very huge property.

This is the view from the 3rd Floor, an awesome view, a magnificent scene.

And I'm not really sure what this is, but I asked and was told that this is used by marine technogist, or those taking a marine course. It's very intriguing....

This is the 2nd Floor Balcony.

And a wide unused space to the right of the main building. I'm guessing they'll erect another building here once the students need it.

And this is the view from the back, in a few months time, we'll see a Computer Studies building here.

Oh, and let's not forget the High School Building.

This is the Computer Studies' Vision Mission Board. We'll fix that soon.

This is the day before the seminar. So in preparation for the D day, I removed Edubuntu (was installed a week previously by their technician) and installed Xubuntu.

This is Jhun, their technician... He was kind enough to help me install Xubuntu and we finished at around 9PM.

Satisfied, but not there yet. Good thing I brought an AptOnCD with MonoDevelop, Anjuta, Eclipse, Gambas, Inkscape, etc. etc. etc. By nightfall, we only completed half. Tired, but a very satisfying experience.

Ok, now I'm really tired. I badly need a bath 'coz I'm sweating like a pig... oink! oink! oink!

Ok, this is my hotel room. MegaStar Hotel, right beside Caltex.

And here's the view from my hotel's balcony.

So for the next two days, I've been talking, answering questions, and basically encouraging them to be part of the Ubuntu community. Also trained them on the use of OpenOffice.org, especially those little differences from MS Office.



And here's our group photo, unfortunately, not everyone decided to join us. For posterity's sake.... smile!


Blogged with Flock