Monday, June 25, 2007

$100 Thin-Client

Inquirer.net's news article
Blog post
Woopwoop page
Devon IT

The above are links to the project I'm interested at. I'm actually thinking of adopting this Thin-Client for knightlust.com, unfortunately, Devon IT's terminal needed $39 more. Woopwoop would only cost $100, no more no less, but you get what you paid for.. a crappy looking case. Oh, wait.. it's not a freaking casing! I think assembling one myself is the most viable option. Since my plan is manufacture hundreds of this, I need to look for a supplier that won't make my wallet scream.

Here's what I need:

  • ITX Motherboard/CPU combo
  • 800MHz to 1GHz
  • Fanless
  • SD and MMC ports
  • at least 2 USB ports
  • Can boot from USB, SD/MMC, and Network
  • very small footprint
  • to save space, there shouldn't be any Parallel or Serial ports
I think, with this setup, the system would run below 20W. I do need to test it though. I also hope the Mini-ITX.com offers a much cheaper systems, so I wouldn't have to rack my brains thinking about this.

Ok, this is nice. But the price! Damn!

Blogged with Flock