Monday, May 21, 2007

My LAMP on Kubuntu Feisty

I get my money from GetAFreelancer.com and I noticed that there's a lot of Joomla! projects available for the taking... Joomla! Projects can get as high as $150 per project, and you only need to install, setup a couple of modules, configure the interface, and optimize the site. If I'm only adept in PHP/MySQL, it'll only take me a few hours to do that... so now I'm focused on learning PHP/MySQL and Joomla! I also took it upon myself to redesign Ubuntu-PH and ask Zak Elep how to proceed with it. So before we implement a new design, we agreed to do it first on a "Beta Site". I'll be signing up for a free service later tonight and install Drupal. Then proceed with a new design tomorrow morning.

By installing my own LAMP server, I can practice and refine my skills without the hassle of uploading and testing it remotely. After everything's configured, I can just upload the modules and import the .sql file.... very convenient.

First, I downloaded the following files by issuing the command :

sudo aptitude install apache2 mysql-server php5 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 phpmyadmin


Of course, it'll download a few more files.

Since it'll also download Postfix, you'll see this notice. I don't have any plans of setting up Postfix in the next 2 weeks, so I just set it to No Configuration

After installation, /var/www would be created and if you go to http://127.0.0.1/ or http://localhost/ you'll see this page.


If you see this page, you have to click on phpmyadmin/ and assign a password for root. If you don't, then anyone can just login and mess up your account.


Since I don't want Joomla! (or other CMS) taking over my /var/www, I saved an HTML file with a link pointing to /var/www/joomla

And here I have my Joomla and my Drupal

So there it is, LAMP on my Feisty... this way, I can easily configure and test without wasting time by donwloading and uploading files and then testing them remotely. I'd rather test my stuff online once it's fully tested locally.

Blogged with Flock