Monday, August 27, 2007

TP-Link TL-R860 Screenshots

Here's a few (actually a lot) of screenshots regarding my router, a TP-Link Model No. TL-R860. It's a wired 8-port router. I've posted screenshots so people would have an idea of its' features.

The manual for the router is in the mini/business-card CD that comes with the package - a long with a lot more manuals for their other products. If for some reason you misplaced it, you can download a copy by clicking on the link below.


Default router address is http://192.168.1.1/


This is the router home page.


And this is actually my favorite part. The router supports only three configurations... Dynamic IP, Static IP, and PPPPoE. If you have PLDT, select Dynamic IP and click on Next. You'll be connected right after. But if your ISP supports PPPoE, then you have to select it, then enter your Username and Password. Don't worry, it just works(tm)... And lastly, if you have a business account and subscribed to two or more IP Address, select Static IP and input the necessary details. The details SHOULD be provided by your ISP... NOT ME! So please don't bug me regarding this!
I know this is common sense - but trust me, a lot of people don't know and expect those that have the same hardware to have the same configuration as theirs.














One of the main features of this router is Security. My Kubuntu's moonlighting as a multi-purpose server, and I need to open a few ports so my friends can access my box from the outside. Oh, this router is like Ubuntu, it has no open ports by default making your network un-crackable from the outside.
This feature right here would direct incoming traffic to my workstation. It won't affect my other two system.




You do have to be careful with this though. Since enabling DMZ would open a workstation to the world with all ports open. If you decide to use this feature, don't forget to install a firewall. I recommend GuardDog, FWBuilder, or Firestarter. I for one uses Firestarter because of one feature - real-time monitoring - that GuardDog and FWBuilder doesn't have.












If you want to administer this page from the outside, you have to configure it here. But if you have a Dynamic IP, then I'm afraid it won't work.






I'm using EditDNS, too bad it's not included in the list of Service Providers. I might sign up with DynDNS soon, but I still have to compare features. For now, EditDNS would suffice.








If you make any changes, Back it up from this page. You won't regret it. Especially if you "accidentally" reset the router. At least you wouldn't have to start from reconfiguring it from scratch.




And oh, don't forget to change Username and Password. People tend to overlook this, what they don't know is that a simple configuration would help a great deal securing their network.





Blogged with Flock